<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Of course you realize this means war. 
UPDATE: Link fixed.

Fuck the RIAA.

All of those assholes should lose their jobs anyway. These are the same cretins that steal more than 90 cents on the dollar from recording artists, even when the cost of music distribution approaches nothing. I'd much rather encourage job creation in the emerging digital media server category anyway.

I wouldn't invest in a record company, and I damn sure am not going to let them tell me where I can store music I purchased. I signed no contract with them.

I've never been one to burn copies of CDs. Nobody in this world has a copy of a CD I burned for them. I've emailed some tracks to other fiddle players, but most musicians I know love that, because that practice actually generates sales.

But you know what?

At this point, I don't give a rat's ass.

Respect is a two-way street. Consider my days of respecting the RIAA over.

I hope enough other consumers feel the same way to drive down CD sales to the point where they lay off their dumbest executives and get smart enough to surrender in their suicidal war with the marketplace.

Hey, assholes! I'm your customer!

Splash, out

Jason

Labels: ,


Comments:
You give us no real link
 
There are precedents going back more than a decade, as I recall, which establish that owners of record albums, or CDs, or other 'mechanical reproductions' of music, may make themselves a backup copy of their own property. Commonly these were used to play in cars, or out of the house - and of course to store in a separate location in case the original was damaged somehow.

The article's correct - 'copyright' is the right to make (and distribute) copies, usually for profit. I suppose the profit could consist of increased social status through passing them to your friends and (hopefully) lovers.

"In a Los Angeles Times poll, 69 percent of teenagers surveyed said they thought it was legal to copy a CD they own and give it to a friend." That's a crude justification that always pops up in such articles, and it's wrong as far as the law goes. But if everyone does it (think illegal immigration), it's gotta be right, right? Uh, no.

But in this case, the RIAA is throwing a real Hail Mary, trying to bamboozle a jury into repeating the Jammie Thomas verdict on a set of allegations that omit Thomas's act of freely passing out internet copies of her computer files. It shouldn't succeed with Jeffery Howell, as long as those copies STAYED on his computer.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!