<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 10, 2006

From a reader ... 
I think it's great that you are a 12 year Army officer and I think it's great that you served a tour in Iraq. As a former soldier myself of 6 years and have currently served 1 year IRR I see a totally different story. My last 4 years of service was in US Army Recruiting command. I saw first hand the Briefings to recruiters from the Major General telling to turn up the heat on IRR soldiers. In the past year since I have got of the Army I have been victim to at least a telephone call a week from Reserve and NG recruiters asking me to rejoin. With promises of bonuses and Medical coverage and WOW drill pay. Like I'm some poor idiot who doesn't have any money and can't provide for my family on the outside. I tell them no every time and thank them for the call. But lately it has gotten out of hand. It's to the point of blatant coercion. From Threats of "involuntary recall" (join now and try to avoid it) To them saying that the IRR is calling 15,000 more people, a blatant lie. I am now out of the Army, I have a mortgage, 2 car payments, and numerous other things going on financially. I also make $76,000 a year with full benefits. So they can keep their medical coverage and bonuses. I would have had no problems serving in Iraq or Afghanistan and would have served proudly while I was Active duty. As a matter of fact the only thing stopping me from going now as a contractor is the fact I can't carry a side arm. All beside the point, the coercion, threats, and blatant lies need to stop. It just makes me shake my head and say "It's the same old Army". Ad it sucked all the pride I had for my military service right out of me. I'm almost damn ashamed.

Comments:
I try not to let the attitudes and actions of USAREC get me down about being in the military. I consider USAREC kinda like the alcoholic and publicly embarassing uncle in the big family that is the Army. My recruiter was a great guy, but of course he was just one of many and I was fairly educated about the military when I went in thanks to my own research, and I think blogs like Jack Army have shown that there are decent recruiters out there, and not all of them are like the guys calling the IRR poster's house and not taking the hint.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!