<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 25, 2005

New York Times public editor concedes need for more veterans in the newsroom! 
A few days ago, I sent this email to the New York Times public editor:

Actually, I can see why your paper would miss a story about a Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

I think I figured it out: Your editors can't even tell the difference between the Congressional Medal of Honor and an award for songwriting.

This is from your Corrections pages, January 23rd:

"An Op-Ed article last Sunday about the Plaza Hotel misstated details about an award given to the songwriter George M. Cohan. He won the Congressional Gold Medal, an award also given to other songwriters. He did not win the Congressional Medal of Honor. "

So how many layers of fact-checking did THAT one go through?

See, I'm a big believer in diversity. REAL diversity. You might want to think about reaching out and getting some veterans in the newsroom, so your paper wouldn't make embarrassing gaffes like that anymore.

Errors of omission are one thing. But THIS one takes the cake!

Just for kicks, how many veterans ARE on staff in the editorial department of the NY Times?

I received this courteous reply from Mr. Arthur Bovino, the assistant to Dan Okrent, public editor of the New York Times:

Mr. Okrent has been lobbying management for more intellectual and experiential diversity in the newsroom -- and veterans are certainly a group to be desired, as evidenced by the superb work of C.J. Chivers, a former Marine officer


I'd love to say we got results - but it's too soon to say. It's one thing for Okrent to lobby management. It's quite another for the Old Gray Lady to actually budge.


Meanwhile, the Times still has not deigned to run a story on SFC Paul Smith's posthumous medal of honor.

Splash, out

Jason

UPDATE: Paris Hilton gets plenty of press, though.

Comments:
Hey nice blog! I just want you too know that I have a wisconsin dells motel blog/sie too!
It's a free information web site for discount hotel rooms!
It can help you save big on your next trip!
You should check it out if you get a chance :-)
 
I really liked your page and it is related to 14 k gold man watch, until next time!
 
Hello,

I am searching for fresh information
for my cc Infopage, 30,000 daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects.

It might interest you to know that your blog has been visited and has been read. I hope you enjoy your "Blogging".

I wish you all the luck I can, keep the good work going!

Kind regards,
Jos
Today's News From & About Google
 
Hi my friend! This is a good blog. I just got back home from shopping with the wife and decided to log in and do some internet surfing.(needed some time to myself if you know what I mean) I came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Not many people keep their blogs up to date and most of the blogs I do fine are not even relevant to the blog topic. I bookmarked your blog for future use.
Anyways keep up the awesome work and if you don�t mind I will forward your blog off to a few of my buddies. Thanks a bunch!miami discount hotel
 
Sweet blog! Do the chickens have large talons? Sorry for Napolean Dynamite quote but I am in a great mood today. Also I love to see blogs that are useful and your blog falls right into that catergory. I took the liberty to add you to my favorites. Hey you might want to do the same for I update my site with new articles and info monthly. Blah, maybe you don�t! Anyways, have a great day and again very very good blog! Many thanks from philadelphia discount hotels.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!