<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Air Force Brass Uses Undue Influence to Protect First Command 
Some more super shoe leather reporting from the New York Times' Diana Henriques reveals that Air Force brass with ties to First Command stymied an investigation into First Command's questionable sales practices.

So First Command was not happy a year ago when it discovered that a legal office at Air Force headquarters had put out a notice asking military lawyers in the field for feedback on "reports of possible unethical or overly aggressive" sales practices by the company's agents. The notice also raised questions about the suitability of the company's core product, an archaic and expensive type of mutual fund with sales fees that eat up half of an investor's first-year contributions.

First Command fought back: it complained to the second- most-powerful general in the Air Force. And it was heard.

The New York Times has found that within three weeks of the legal office's posting, the Air Force issued a retraction, which it had allowed the company to edit. It gave the company a letter of exoneration, signed by the Air Force's top legal officer, after letting the company edit that, too. The Air Force legal staff stopped cooperating with a securities industry investigation into the company's practices and products. And the Air Force effectively abandoned a broad inquiry of its own, letting local base authorities handle complaints.



It's bloody amazing that any self-respecting attorney would all of a sudden begin to withhold cooperation with an investigation with the securities industry (presumeably the NASD, but not neccessarily).

It's amazing that any commissioned officer--knowing the issues involved--would buy into blocking the investigation.

Nevertheless, it illustrates how effective First Command has been over the years at nurturing relationships with senior military commanders, including General Anthony Zinni and Army Chief of Staff Pete Schoomaker, both of whom hold or held seats on First Command's advisory board.

I would love to see Diana press the issue: what compensation did General Schoomaker recieve while on the Advisory board at First Command?

Given the allegations of undue command influence within the Air Force, these ties become relevant to the other services.

First Command's reaction to its critics doesn't surprise me.

Their modus operandi seems to be to smear or attempt to intimidate their critics either through nastygrams from attorneys, allegations of bias, or through calling on their extensive rolodex of Kool-Aid swilling doppelgangers throughout the officer ranks to insinuate professional consequenses if the rest of us don't play ball.

Both techniques are in evidence within this article.

And I've been on the recieving end of both of them, personally.

Sorry. It ain't gonna work with THIS officer.



Splash, out

Jason



P.S.,

More background Here, here, here, and here.


Kudos to Diana Henriques, once again--chewing on the story like a bulldog on a bone.

She's been working it for months.

(No, I'm not one of her sources at all.)

Persistence pays.









Comments:
I sent Diana Henriques an email thanking her for her reporting on this subject. She even took the time to send me a nice reply!

Congress is taking this matter out of the hands of military brass. Pending legislation will tighten up the rules on sales to the military and eliminate funds with 50% up front loads.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a advertising broadcast email site/blog. It pretty much covers advertising broadcast email related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our advertising broadcast email tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
thanks for the info
 
I love your blog. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of california second mortgage loan and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on california second mortgage loan. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit your blog again!!

p.s added you to my favorites take a moment to stop by http://www.adjustablerate-mortgage.com for I update it frequently
 
hello... good blog
 
Hi my friend! This is a good blog. I just got back home from shopping with the wife and decided to log in and do some internet surfing.(needed some time to myself if you know what I mean) I came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Not many people keep their blogs up to date and most of the blogs I do fine are not even relevant to the blog topic. I bookmarked your blog for future use.
Anyways keep up the awesome work and if you don�t mind I will forward your blog off to a few of my buddies. Thanks a bunch!michigan home owner insurance
 
A fantastic blog. Keep it up. You may be interested in living better low interest rate mortgage visit http://thehomemortgageguide.com Start planning for the future low interest rate mortgage
 
Your Blog. It's nice. Here's the secrets a lot of people are searching for; equity home loan mortgage http://thehomemortgageguide.com New Information revealed! equity home loan mortgage
 
Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#
 
Hey!, Just browsing around for ideas for my new. (While we're at the same topic), I'm just getting started if you want to visit:
reverse mortgages california

Charles
 
Just looking for ideas for my site. (While we're at the same topic), I'm just getting started if you want to visit:
b lender mortgage quote second

Charles
 
Just blogging for a while, my site is also about second mortgage loan va, so just saying what's up.

Charles
 
Just blogging for a while, my site is also about american + home + mortgage + dallas, so just saying hi.

Charles
 
Hello :)

I am very busy person and would be very greteful if I can get notified of new posts that enter this site... Is there a way to do this?

Regards,
extra money make
 
I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ
 
Great site.

How Does Satellite Phone Work
http://www.all-about-health.net/

Regards,
Gerald E.
http://www.all-about-health.net/
How Does Satellite Phone Work
 
Excellent webpage!

antabuse and neuropathy
http://www.all-about-health.net/

Regards,
Gerald E.
http://www.all-about-health.net/
antabuse and neuropathy
 
good information
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!