<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Omar's Book Club 
Phil Carter has an interesting analysis of the changing intellectual climate in the Army, as evinced in the revised professional reading lists.

Here are my own favorites:

1.) About Face, by Col. David Hackworth

2.) Blackhawk Down, by Mike Bowden.

3.) Enemy at the Gates, by William Craig. The book. Not the movie (Even though Rachel Weisz joins Monica Bellucci on the Countercolumn "Officially Hot" list.)

I much prefer Enemy at the Gates to Antony Beevor's Stalingrad. Craig's reliance on personal accounts lends his book a human element and emotional impact that surpasses any military history I've ever read.

4.) The Defense of Hill 781: An Allegory of Modern Mechanized Combat. (I'd like to see this book--itself adapted from the much earlier "Defense of Duffer's Drift" updated to reflect an urban counterinsurgency mission)

5.) Lee's Lieutenants: A Study in Command, by Douglas Southall Freeman. Yes, I read all three volumes. Very dry, but once you invest in the first two volumes, reading about the final collapse of the Army of Northern Virginia when it was finally pushed into a hopeless position--and the astounding bravery of the desperate rear guard action at the little known Sayler's Creek--was a surprisingly moving experience.

6.) Street Without Joy, by Bernard Fall. But "A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Viet Nam" is excellent, too. One or the other will probably do. But if you liked one, you'll probably devour both. If you need more, then for God's sake, seek professional help!

7.) The Minutemen, by Gary Hart. Yes, that Gary Hart. A must-read for a political history of the Army, and as a treatise in the role an Army should play in a democratic republic. Journalists on the military/pentagon beat should be all over this one.

8. Company Commander, by William MacDonald.

9. Small Unit Leadership: A Common Sense Approach (for Cadets, sergeants, and platoon Leaders)
Company Command: The Bottom Line (for new company XOs and company commanders.)

10. The Art of Maneuver, by Robert R. Leonhard.

Honorable Mentions:

Knights Cross, a biography of Erwin Rommel. I remember that it was said that he never stopped teaching.

War As I Knew It, by General George Patton. Especially the last two chapters, consisting of proverbs, observations, and vignettes. Patton was at his best when he was also at his briefest and most direct.

Strategy, by B.H. Liddel-Hart. Check out Belisarius!
The Battle for the Falklands, by Max Hastings. I vividly remember the logistic lessons learned by the Royal Marines.

The Writings of Mao Tse Tung. Sure, he's a disgusting Chicom. But the man understood insurgent warfare. Indeed, he literally wrote the book.

The poetry of Wilfred Owen.

No, I'm not a big fan of S.L.A. Marshall, or John Keegan, particularly. Marshall's intellectual influence was huge, but I think his biggest contribution to military thought was his pioneering after-action review techniques, rather than anything he wrote himself.

John Keegan seems to demonstrate a firm grasp of the obvious. I remember attending a lecture of his once. He spent two hours leading up to the earth-shattering conclusion that the big winner of the Second World War was...drum roll...the United States.

And the biggest loser: Poland.

Well, no shite, Sherlock! Have another sherry!

Splash, out

Jason



Comments:
putting to waste some good money that could have been used in other areas of development for the business involved.
 
What If This Could All Happen Automatically,
with a simple push of a button.....
 
Hi there,
 
thanks for the info
 
##Http://www.spagack.com/ezGaffurl.php?offer=maidle123&pid=1#### BLog Submitter Pro vSearch##is the coolest thing, the coolest !##Download ## I have seen####Blog Submitter Pro##33Http://. posts to Topical Posts ##Blog Submitter Pro ####Google ## loves it
 
what?
 
Hi: I was looking for information on domain names and came upon your site. I'm writting an article on Blog comments. I'd like to see if comments like this are actually read.

As a test I'm posting this message to 100 Blogs. For everyone who emails me that they read this, I'll give a 90+ page, in-depth search engine optimization ebook, that has some proven and very powerful methods to improve your own site's ranking. Did I mention this ebook is totally free? This is a no strings attached offer to the first 100 people who email me at:
losangeleslegal@gmail.com
Thanks for reading this!
 
Nice blog! Good topic and very well organized!

http://profitsonthenet.com/ip/popup stopper
 
A Happy Thought Lifestyle is one where substance trumps triviality, quality finesses quantity and synergy prevails over contention. electric mobility
 
It is great fun to read all these good blogs. Your's is very nice. I have been looking for information about canadian low carbohydrate candies and have not really found it anywhere but here: http://atkinsdiet.find-it-first.biz

Has anyone else seen it elsewhere?
 
Not long ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diadetes and my doctor told me to lose weight or my life would be shortened by mant years. Being overweight most of my life I knew it was time to get serious.
Link to this site. walking for weight loss
 
Lose Weight Now. Fasting, when done peoperly, can be a basoc part of a solid weight loss plan. If done correctly it can ne a great start to your new way of life.
Link to this site. teenage weight loss program
 
Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. vitamin b6 and weight loss
 
www.TheOnlinePromoters.com has everything a webmaster needs to succeed online
 
www.TheOnlinePromoters.com has everything a webmaster needs to succeed online
 
All products are backed by a money-back guarantee. Shop here and buy electronics home with confidence.
 
Aren't some motivational speakers just the best? They get you so hyped up and excited. It's just so hard to do it on my own. Like I could get my head totally wrapped around Web host ecommerce hosting, but trying to get myself motivated just doesn't seem to work. Hmmmm, maybe one day I'll get it when a light bulb just goes off inside my head.
Web host ecommerce hosting
 
Wonder if I'll ever find my mate in life. Do you think it's possible. I know I could be talking to a lot of people out there, but I want some opinions here. Like I was out doing some research on dating and I clicked on this one web link that took me to a site about Virtual hosting. I got derailed from my original topic at hand and then finally had to backtrack to figure out that I was still looking for something about dating so I could find my ideal mate. Dang, I get distracted.
Virtual hosting
 
Xanax dosage of Xanax interactions with Xanaxpain pain pills vicodin prescription pain medicine prescription may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives
 
Just blogging for a while, found your site that also happens to be around egold exchange, so just saying what's up.

Charles
 
Hey, This is really great . nice one.



Thanks
 
Searching blogs for excite traffic.
Came here. Interesting blog.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
excite traffic
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!