<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Snake Oil in the Barracks 
The New York Times has this extensive article on predatory financial product sales practices targeting troops. Examples: Contractual plan mutual fund products with 50% front end loads on first year commissions. Life insurance salesmen posing as benefits counselors and VA reps, giving briefings to soldiers, and signing them up with expensive whole life insurance policies under the fraudulent pretense of official status.

I remember one guy who pitched to my unit a few years back, claiming to be a benefits counselor. He presented with some official looking brochures and pamphlets. He asked for and got some time on the training schedule.

When he was briefing, and it became clear he was a commissioned sales agent, and not a VA counselor, and he did not disclose that to the leadership of the unit from the outset, I told him to pack up and get his ass out of our armory.

It's been a problem for years. The Army press covers the practice from time to time. But Army leaders and NCOs are not financial services aces, and don't know how to separate the shite from the Shinola.

I'm not hostile to the idea. If someone from an organization with a long history of providing quality services to soldiers at a reasonable price wanted to come set up a table, or borrow a classroom to give a briefing AFTER duty hours, I'd be fine with it, and even help the guy publicize it.

By that I mean, if USAA or TIAA-CREF wanted to lend us a CFP for the day, I'd be very supportive. I think the military ought to encourage reputable financial services companies to make their pitches, right alongside the car salesmen from AAFES. I'd much rather see soldiers open an IRA or Section 529 plan at the end of a deployment than blow their money on a truck.

But while I saw many new car sales reps in Jordan, Iraq, and Kuwait, I didn't see a single serious effort to sell financial products or advice to soldiers at any price.

I wrote a brief guide to basic financial planning for E-1's to E-4's, which got passed around a lot. But the good low-cost financial services companies are not reaching out to the grunt demographic.

(knock knock knock...Helllooooooo!!! TIAA-CREF!!!!!! Barclays!!!!!! Vanguard!!!!! Are you there????)


Another product heavily promoted to military people is a type of mutual fund in which 50 percent of the first-year contributions are consumed as fees, a deal considered so expensive that such funds all but disappeared from the civilian market almost 20 years ago.


The name of the company is First Command. The Times caught a lot of brass on its advisory board--Anthony Zinni, for instance. They missed the current Army Chief of Staff Peter Schoomaker, though.

Which gives you some idea of why these practices are tolerated on military bases. Because flag officers are the biggest ones drinking the Kool-Aid.

That argument does not satisfy people like Capt. James A. Shaw, commander of the Second Battalion's 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment at Fort Bragg, N.C.


In all, this is the article that Army Times SHOULD have written ages ago. But failed. Instead, they were too busy cashing advertisement checks from those full color full page First Command ads.

The Army Times should be ashamed of itself. And kudos to the New York Times for catching on to it. It's not exactly a BRAND new story--Kiplingers hit it in 2002, and I hit it in January of last year) but this is easily the best and most thorough treatment of the subject I've seen.

Watch for a response on First Command's website attacking the credibility of the journalist, claiming she doesn't understand contractual plans and is biased against them.

Baloney.

She's a more than competent personal finance journalist, and knew exactly who to call. She called the Investment Company Institute. She called Jack Bogle, the inventor of the Index fund. She called a member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors.

She understands the issues. She did her homework. Don't let First Command drag her name through the mud on their website without calling them on it.

Splash, out

Jason

Yoohoo, fact-checker?????

We have a features reporter for the New York Times who doesn't know a Battalion from a Regiment from a Brigade!

When on earth are you going to get an Army veteran on your staff so you don't have to embarrass yourselves like this?


Comments:
Your blog, It's terrific . If you ever need any printing done, I'm sure you'd be interested in Brochures Try Brochures
 
world biggest book store MyOpp is the first portal to activate a complete portfolio of income streams with one click!world biggest book store
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Hi Blogger,

I am thinking of starting a car detailing business. I really have been searching the Internet looking for information on color match car wax. That is how I found your blog. I just wanted to thank you for the info.
--Natan
 
Hi there. Nice blog. Interesting posts. Looking for updated information about forex trading. Not quite what I had in mind, but very nice read none the less. I have a forex tradingrelated site. Maybe visit if you have time Free-Cash-Site.com. Thanks.
 
You have a great website here, and I'm going to tell all my friends about it.
 
Check out Internet Marketing Christmas, this special ends on 12/21/2005
 
I liked your information in this post. Too bad it doesn't have more on bartending supply. I was looking for bartending supply in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Blogger. Come to Las Vegas sometime. Fun town.
 
Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic
 
This is a very instructive blog. Keep it going. I can advise you to go on this website if you're looking for scommesse online . Just scommesse online
 
Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with
 
Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!
 
This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "low carb sugar free chocolate cheesecake recipes" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.
 
You can find some great information about roman girls sandals right here http://www.find-it-first.biz/exit/zappo.php in case anyone is interested.
 
Not long ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diadetes and my doctor told me to lose weight or my life would be shortened by mant years. Being overweight most of my life I knew it was time to get serious.
Link to this site. lose weight
 
Hi There! Really cool site . Ok so I'm always searching for this kind of stuff.
I have this fascination thing. Keep up the good work!
All Blessings,Car Finance
 
All products are backed by a money-back guarantee. Shop here and buy classic closeouts with confidence.
 
This new, Internet Shopping Mall has the hottest products. Well over ONE MILLION in all, including b electronics h.
 
www.palhits.com Get sponsored sign ups and generate hits to your chosen website with this internet marketing site.
 
I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ
 
Earn residual income for a lifetime.
 
Interesting Information on home foreclosure information .. If you are interested in home foreclosure information and Making Money Today.. Got to http://foreclosures444.com...
 
Your blog has some really great articles on build your credit. That what I have been searching for today. I'm glad I came across your site. Thanks very much and keep up the great work.
 
Hi blogger:)

Thanks to your blog we can keep recieving new info. It is something I like to do, reading your blog which is very interesting is turning to be one of my hobbys:)

Regards,
make money online
 
Looking for more information on financial analysis seminar ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to financial analysis seminar with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...corpanalytics.com
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!