<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Ode to Absurdity 
It was neccessary to destroy this post in order to save it.

I've long held that a healthy appreciation of the ironic and the absurd is an essential component of keeping one's sanity in the military, because there are absurdities in military units occuring on a daily basis that would make Dilbert's head spin.

Here are some very much on target observations of military life.



"Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure
to make any progress."


"None of us is as dumb as all of us." Excerpted from a brief (EUCOM)


"Things are looking up for us here. In fact, Papua-New Guinea is
thinking of offering two platoons: one of Infantry (headhunters) and one
of engineers (hut builders). They want to eat any Iraqis they kill.
We've got no issues with that, but State is being anal about it." LTC
(JS) on OIF coalition-building


"It's not a lot of work unless you have to do it." LTC (EUCOM)

"I'm gonna have to leave work early today and probably stay home
tomorrow. I'm fighting off a cold and I want to beat it before I start
my leave in two days." MAJ (EUCOM)

"Creating smoking holes gives our lives meaning and enhances our
manliness." LTC (EUCOM) at a CT conference

"Interagency is a process, not a noun." Anonymous (EUCOM)

"Eventually, we have to 'make nice' with the French, although, since I'm
new in my job, I have every expectation that I'll be contradicted." DOS
(Department of State) rep at a Counter Terrorism Conference

"Everyone should have an equal chance, but not everyone is equal."

"I am so far down the food chain that I've got plankton bites on my
butt."


"You can get drunk enough to do most anything, but you have to realize
going in that there are some things that, once you sober up and realize
what you have done, will lead you to either grab a 12-gauge or stay
drunk for the rest of your life."


"Once you accept that a dog is a dog, you can't get upset when it
barks." Lt Col (USSOCOM), excerpts

"That guy just won't take 'yes' for an answer." MAJ (EUCOM)

"Let's just call Lessons Learned what they really are: institutionalized
scab picking."

"I can describe what it feels like being a Staff Officer in two
words: distilled pain." CDR (NAVEUR)

"When all else fails, simply revel in the absurdity of it all." LCDR
(CENTCOM)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be ascribed to sheer
stupidity." LTC (CENTCOM)

I finally figured out that when a Turkish officer tells you, "It's no
problem," he means, for him." Maj (EUCOM, European Command, which is in
charge of American operations in Europe)

"Never in the history of the US Armed Forces have so many done so much
for so few..." MAJ (Task Force Warrior) on the "success" of the Free
Iraqi Forces (FIF) Training Program, where 1100 Army troops trained 77
Iraqi exiles at the cost of, well, way too much...

"Our days are spent trying to get some poor, unsuspecting third world
country to pony up to spending a year in a sweltering desert, full of
pissed off Arabs who would rather shave the back of their legs with a
cheese grater than submit to foreign occupation by a country for whom
they have nothing but contempt." LTC (JS) on the joys of coalition
building

"OSD (Office of the Secretary of Defense) will continue to drive this
cart into the ground long after the wheels have been sold on E-bay." MAJ
(JS) on the progress of FIF (Free Iraqi Forces)

"Please don't laugh. This is my job." Maj (EUCOM) from Protocol,
explaining in great detail the approved procedures for dropping off VIPs

"I guess the next thing they'll ask for is 300 US citizens with
Hungarian last names to send to Iraq..." MAJ (JS) on the
often-frustrating process of building the Iraqi coalition for Phase IV

"If we wait until the last minute to do it, it'll only take a minute."
MAJ (EUCOM)

"The only reason that anything ever gets done is because there are
pockets of competence in every command. The key is to find them...and
then exploit the hell out of 'em." CDR (CENTCOM, Central Command, which
is in charge operations in Iraq and Afghanistan))

"Working with Hungary is like watching a bad comedy set on auto
repeat..." LCDR (EUCOM)

"Between us girls, would it help to clarify the issue if you knew that
Hungary is land-locked?" CDR to MAJ (EUCOM) on why a deployment from
Hungary is likely to proceed by air vice sea

"We are condemned men who are chained and will row in place until we
rot." LtCol (CENTCOM) on life at his Command "Right now we're pretty
much the ham in a bad ham sandwich..." GO/FO (EUCOM)
"So, what do you wanna do?"...
"I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?"...
"I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?," etc. COL (DIA) describing the way
OUSD(S) (Undersecretary of Defense for Strategy) develops and implements
their strategies

"Let's face it: Africa sucks..." DOS representative (Bureau of
African Affairs) at a conference on Africa

"It is nothing for US soldiers to be in the desert for a year without a
woman. It is different for us, though, because we are Latin..." LTC
(LATAM country) on one of the differences between Latin American
soldiers and their US counterparts

"I'll be right back. I have to go pound my nuts flat..." Lt Col
(EUCOM) after being assigned a difficult tasker

"I guess this is the wrong power cord for the computer, huh?" LtCol
(EUCOM) after the smoke cleared from plugging his 110V computer into a
220V outlet

"OK, this is too stupid for words." LTC (JS)

"When you get right up to the line that you're not supposed to cross,
the only person in front of you will be me!" CDR (CENTCOM) on his view
of the value of being politically correct in today's military

"There's nothing wrong with crossing that line a little bit, it's
jumping over it buck naked that will probably get you in trouble..." Lt
Col (EUCOM) responding to the above

"I may be slow, but I do poor work..." MAJ (USAREUR)

"Great! What we really need are some more 0-5s (Lieutenant Colonel)
around here..." MAJ (EUCOM) on the release of the list of 0-5
promotables

"Don't ever be the first...don't ever be the last...and don't ever
volunteer to do anything...." CDR (EUCOM) relating an ancient Navy
truism

"Hey, somebody should really do that..." CDR (CENTCOM) on the
CENTCOM
tasking process

on the following report from a newspaper:
"(The Iraqi military was crippled by)...a
multitude of erratic orders and strategic miscalculations, while its
fighting units barely communicated with one another and were
paralyzed from a lack of direction...these woes were compounded by
incompetence, poor preparation, craven leadership and (the) wholesale
desertions of thousands of soldiers..."
"Are you sure they aren't writing about us? Hell, at least we
should jump on that wholesale desertion thing..." Maj (CENTCOM)

"Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams."
Maj (CENTCOM) on the daily thrashings delivered to AOs (Action Officers)
at his Command

"WE are the reason that Rumsfeld hates us..." LTC (EUCOM) doing some
standard, Army self-flagellation

"South of the Alps and East of the Adriatic, paranoia is considered
mental equilibrium..."

"The chance of success in these talks is the same as the number of "R's"
in "fat chance..."" GS-15 (SHAPE)

"His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." MAJ (JS)

"We have no position on that issue. In fact, your position IS our
position. Could you tell us what our position is?" CDR (TRANSCOM,
Transportation Command) at a policy SVTC (Secure Video Teleconference)


"Ya know, in this Command, if the world were supposed to end tomorrow,
it would still happen behind schedule." CWO4 (Chief Warrant Officer)
(ret) (EUCOM)

"Even if Al-Qaeda nuked this place, the Chief of Staff would approve a
4-star visitor the very next day!" GS-12 (US government employee,
grade 12) (EUCOM)

"Never pet a burning dog." LTC (Tennessee National Guard)

"It's basically announcing to the world that I've completely given up."
LT (USN F-14 squadron) on his initial feelings behind the wheel of his
brand new minivan

"A staff action is like getting an out of state check, countersigned by
a fraud on a phony ID: some of the time it clears, but most of the time,
you're screwed." Lt Col (USAF)

"I need intelligence, not information." Maj (EUCOM)

"Ah, the joys of Paris: a unique chance to swill warm wine and be
mesmerized by the dank ambrosia of unkempt armpits..." LCDR (NAVEUR)

"'Status quo,' as you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in...'"
Attributed to former President Ronald Reagan

"We are now past the good idea cutoff point..." MAJ (JS) on the fact
that somebody always tries to "fine tune" a COA with more "good ideas"

"Who are you talking to? ...Hang up the phone!" Lt Col mentoring MAJ
(EUCOM) on how to stay in his own lane...

"The hardest thing about having a third child is switching from 1-on-1
to a zone defense." MAJ (EUCOM)

"Nobody ever said you had to be smart to make 0-6 (Colonel)." Col
(EUCOM)

"I haven't complied with a darn thing and nothing bad has happened to me
yet."

"Whatever happened to good old-fashioned military leadership? Just task
the first two people you see."

"The first question I ask myself when tasked to do something that's not
obviously and overwhelmingly in my own best interest is, 'Exactly what
happens if I don't do it?'"

"Accuracy and attention to detail take a certain amount of time."

"No need to tip our hand as to how responsive we can be." CDR (EUCOM) in
a passdown to his replacement

"I seem to be rapidly approaching the apex of my mediocre career." MAJ
(JS)

"I think that my next set of orders will take me to Iraq. My career's
going so badly that I'm considered a 'dead-ender.'" LtCol (EUCOM)


I can make no warrantee regarding their provenance, but they sound authentic to me. This kind of humor is pervasive throughout the ranks. Indeed, soldiers' humor is probably the number one reason I've enjoyed my service so far, and regardless of how many times I've tried to quit, it's why I keep coming back for more.

Splash, out

Jason

Comments:
And don't forget the unofficial motto of the Air Force compound (Vatican City) at Tallil back in the day: "Tallil Airbase- More Colonels Than Jets!"
 
I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about make money working online related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.
 
Hey..I found a company that pays you to shop at Wal-Mart or McDonalds..Check it out.....home job part time work

 
I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at surfing wet suit


Keep in touch :)
 
cool stuff keep the posts comming enlargement free.com link penis
 
It's always nice to see another great site about weight loss pill so natrually I want to tell you about my site on weight loss pill
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a targeted traffic us site/blog. It pretty much covers targeted traffic us related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time:-)
 
Great blog - I'm a real animal lover. Check out this website The Cosmic Superstore they have got some great gifts for christmas, particulary good pet products and adopt an animal gifts. You can also find them at Christmas Gift Ideas UK
 
This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this ebook website site, it's pretty awesome too!
 
I just came across your blog about diet phentermine pill and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about diet phentermine pill
 
Hi what a great blog,make money searching the web. If you have time pay me a visit.make money searching the web
 
Great free mortgage software site.

Please take a look at my site about Free Software
 
you have an interesting blog fount the info very usefulI i have a diet hoodia pill site. Its full of useful diet hoodia pill related stuff.
come and check it out if you get chance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Hi #NAME##, I came across your site while blog surfing around (something I like to do when I'm board :-). You have a really cool blog. If you are interested, go see my curious auctions site. Can you believe people really sell this stuff??
 
I found your blog on advertising internet marketing online trafficsource.us and thought it might be of interest to my readers at myadvertising internet marketing online trafficsource.us site. Check it out if you have time.
 
Good Blog
Please visit
Advanced Business Marketing

and leave a comment.
 
Mighty Blogalicious, blog posting to you Blogger !
I'm always looking for more internet marketing private resell right . Watch out for my BAD grammar! (:--)
Do you have any internet marketing private resell right on your this post blog?
Curious to how you've been using your's if you have any - ever sold any?
Here's what I did with mine: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .
Have a kick butt day and don't let the bad bloggers get you down !
 
Wanted: 40 Weight loss success stories.

Lose 9 lbs every 11 days!


Fat Loss 4 Idiots

Download today get 40% off!
 
Howdy Blogger !
Just was cruising around looking for ebook author ebook resell right and came across your this post. You ever do anything with your ebook author ebook resell right if you have any?

I've heard of tons of guy's selling a bunch online.
I've been trying too at: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com . Learning tons!

Cutting this post short - my fingers have been going to fast lately!
Have a super duper day!
Chad.
 
G'day Blogger, what a great blog you have here, been entertained by the read. Just noticed that my bried time visiting blogs looking for ##Link## items has run into a couple of hours. Easily done when you get engrossed in what people write about. I should really use mlm business opportunity cdr as a search term but then I might miss places such as this post. Besides which working all the time is boring.
 
Do you want to learn more about house sales?

house sales

Go there now for FREE Lessons.
 
Read your blog on home loose weight and thought you might want to review my site which includes information on fat fighter and carb inhibitor. Thought you or your readers might be interested.
 
Want to learn more about dash diet? I have a site related to dash diet.

dash diet

dash diet
 
display your RSS feeds on their web sites for content.
 
Mighty Blogalicious, blog posting to you Blogger !
I'm always looking for more internet marketing private resell right . Watch out for my BAD grammar! (:--)
Do you have any internet marketing private resell right on your this post blog?
Curious to how you've been using your's if you have any - ever sold any?
Here's what I did with mine: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .
Have a kick butt day and don't let the bad bloggers get you down !
 
Hey, you have a great blog here Blogger, searching for info on dog training harness I just stumbled across you. Although this post is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog training harness and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog I intend to bookmark you, thanks for the read.
 
Hello Blogger, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title this post. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse lover gift idea related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse lover gift idea related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse lover gift idea. Thank you and I wish you well .
 
Hi Blogger,

I see you share my interest in earn home money . Your input would mean a lot to me. If you would be so kind to visit my site and give me your feedback, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
 
Hello Blogger, I've just been playing Serious Sam 2 before getting down to do some research into downline mlm network marketing; on the whole I'd rather continue playing. First place I came to was this post so I've been having a good time reading your blog. There are some ideas that I could maybe incorporate into downline mlm network marketing to make it more useful. Thank you!
 
Hey Blogger,
I've been out searching for autosurf program blogs for hours and it was nice to have found yours. Just thought I would check out the post this post and come up with ideas for autosurf program. Have a nice day :-)
 
Looking for other people marketing best mlm products. It is fun to see how others market their products. I hope your blog helps you succeed. Good luck!
 
Hey, Blogger, you have a great blog here! Out searching the net for information on career in dog training I found your site. Although this post is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page looking for information on career in dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.
 
Lose 20lbs eating the food you love to eat. Burn Excess Body Fat while you Sleep!
 
camping A Name Brand Products at Wholesale Prices camping
 
Hi, there Blogger, I dropped in to look over this post because I wanted some info on dog training videos. I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but I could not find anything about this post specifically. I was looking for information on dog training videos. Great blog thanks for the read.
 
Are you sick of standing in line for Holiday purchases? Now you dont have to and you can save 20%. We just reduced our prices 20% in celebration of the holidays. Choose from Electronics, Clothes, Kitchen Items, Beautiful Jewelry, Toys, Watches and more. Over 15000 items to choose from all at reduced prices.

http://www.worldgifthaven.com

nautical gift
 
Our Blog network has 708 Pages and Growing at a Rapid Pace!
 
Hey, you have a great blog here Blogger, searching for info on attack dog training I just stumbled across you. Although this post is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on attack dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog I intend to bookmark you, thanks for the read.
 
Aloha Blogger, I'm in Hawaiian mood as I'm listening to Ki ho'alu music (If you've not heard this type of guitar music then you are in for a treat!) so I'm not really concentrating very hard but I came across this post looking up gen on acn network marketing. Anything to do with acn network marketing I always look at, though I do have a tendency to wander about in blogs just reading generally.
 
Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Love the title, "this post" Come by my site some time. It's got men penis enlargement related stuff.
 
Hi Blogger, this is my last visit on the 'net for now - I'm tired. I found this post by accident as I'm searching on robert kiyosaki network marketing but I got fed up with that and I've been roaming about just reading what takes my fancy. Good blog you have here, I enjoyed my visit. Have a great day and it's back to robert kiyosaki network marketing searches for me tomorrow.
 
Psst! ... Have you Heard the Buzz?...

There's a new, fully automated traffic-generation system that can send 1000s of targeted prospects to your website, for FREE! It takes just 5 minutes to set it up, and create a FREE account!!!

To find out more visit: sophisticated site. FREE information on sophisticated related stuff.

Don' t forget, it's FREE !!!
 
Hey, you sure got a super blog here. Very interesting stuff. I've already put a book mark on it.

Pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often neglect my own. Silly me. :) But its so adictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

quit smoking tips
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)
 
Its an amazing story she posted about the . I heard about it at www.horseoutlet.com as well last week.
 
Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with
 
Well I just got back from karate and I am so tired. I am currently doing some research for school and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly bring you in the wrong direction. Even though your blog is not completely related I think your doing a great job. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very valid points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at weight loss dietary supplement. If you have the energy swing by our site. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job! Sincerely weight loss dietary supplement.
 
I was expecting something different when I visited your blog. Well I think the information on this blog is great. I have my own blog and I wish I got half as many comments as your blog does. Anyways, I am a fill in teacher at a local high school and I am always doing research on various areas of interest. This weeks topic relates 85% to your blog. I already bookmarked you for future use. If you want to exchange information I will leave my link at the bottom of this. If you don�t mind I will add my 2 cents to this blog topic once in awhile. Although most of the time I just like to read and see what other people�s thoughts are! (hey I am a teacher!)
Thanks again!weight loss forum.
 
C'est un bon emplacement regardant !Respectfully, Lorita cortisone 10 heals zits
 
thanks for the info
 
Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!
 
Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic
 
Wow, funny yet impressive post!
sportsbook
http://www.enterbet.com
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!