<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11's Effect on the Troops--and A Suggested Antidote 
Read it here.

The few troops of mine whom I've talked to don't seem to have been affected that way. Maybe because I've corrupted them already, or maybe because they were in an infantry battalion that was very much mixed in with the fight and had something to do the whole time.

The ones who are less busy have more time to think and fret.

I think in this case, the problem isn't so much the Moore Film as it is weak leadership at the small unit level, which ought to be staying in front of this stuff and addressing it.

Where's the chaplain?

For those who might be interested in one drooling idiot's approach, here's how I dealt with it:

I had a change of command ceremony a couple of weeks ago, as the incoming commander of HHC, 1-124th Infantry, and had a soapbox opportunity as part of the ceremony.

I thanked my predecessor for bringing everyone home alive. I told everyone that my priority of work was going to be on the unglamorous details which they all knew the importance of. And then I thanked them for their service. I also said that while it's not my place as a military officer to formally endorse a political position--I'm the CO to Democrats and Republicans alike--I closed with these words: "25 million people are now free. 25 million people now have hope. Because of what you did. And that's not something any of you will ever need to apologize for."

Splash, out

Jason


Comments:
Well said!

A Recovering Liberal
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!