<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Taking Me to the Woodshed 
Here's one from a reader:

In my opinion Juan Cole is so moraly and intelectually above you that getting into any detail of your polemic with him is redundant. Really notable your defense of killing classes full of schoolchildren if Zarqawi ( propaganda ghost ? CIA agent ? ) is near .
(i suppose your own children are not included in the deal ) . I pray for you , you are as worst a terrorist as Zarkawi is , only you are a coward and he is not .


Well, that one's rich.

As to the substance, I think you're confusing a recommended course of action with what the law of land warfare says. Saying that hitting Zarqawi in a room full of schoolkids is not a war crime is not at all the same thing as saying I would personally pull the trigger in that instance. There's a difference between a technical argument over what the law says and a military/moral argument over the correct course of action.

I think most of us would rather check fire, and wait for another opportunity.

But at what cost in lives? This reader apparently has a priori knowledge, somehow, that the number of lives saved by killing him now is less than the number of lives lost by hitting him where he stands.

Must be nice to live in an academic environment. The rest of us have to make decisions in the real world.

You are as worst a terrorist as Zarkawi is.


My correspondent apparently lives a blissfully sheltered life. I wonder if people realize how much they make themselves into laughingstocks when they make stupid claims like this.

only you are a coward and he is not.


Assumes facts not in evidence.

By the way, mispelling "intellectually" is a nice touch. My complements.

UPDATE: Someone pointed out that I used the wrong spelling of "compliments." Heh. I guess that's what I get. :-)

Jason



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!