<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Cool Musician of the Week 
I gotta give major props to a delightful musician I just heard today...a clarinetist, of all things, named Ilene Stahl.

She plays in the Klezmer Conservatory Band. Think "The Chieftains" of eastern European Yiddish and Jewish-American traditional music.

Actually, I've been a fan of the Klezmer Conservatory band (and klezmer music, generally) since the dawn of my career as an amateur frustrated ethnomusicologist at the age of 13.

Everyone in that band can play--I mean, really play. But Stahl is a true gem. No pun intended, but she's one of those musicians who can play a phrase and it's like it's written in stone.

Wow.

That is all.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!