<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 24, 2004

Seisun (Music Nuts Only.) 
Well, I had an unexpected change of plans last week, and had more free time than I thought I would. So on a lark, I threw my fiddle in the car on Wednesday afternoon and drove the three and a half hours to Orlando to play in a traditional Irish music seisun that happens every other Wednesday at a place called Claddagh Cottage, at 4308 Curry Ford Road.

Great fun. They had about 10 or 12 players there at the peak--three or four fiddles, a tenor banjo player/bouzouki player who runs it, a couple of flutes, two whistles, two bodhrains, and a very good button accordian player.

It wasn't Boston, but people could get through the tunes just fine. And the tune selections were very traditional and appropriate throughout.

Actually, everybody there could play except for the bodhrain player who sat next to me. Rushed the tempo something fierce. And I'm guilty of pushing tempos too far. So if someone else is rushing even ahead of me then something is seriously wrong.

But I can ignore it if I have to.

Nevertheless, I think they should have a special licensing board for percussionists before they're allowed to play out in public.

I didn't start that many tunes until later--I'd rather just hang out and listen and keep a low profile. Especially as the new guy. Later I started some, just with the after-midnight die-hards.

(For those few of you who follow along, I started The Repeal of the Union, Fisher's Hornpipe, Flowers of Edinburgh, Lord Gordon's Reel, and Maudabawn Chapel.

Overall, I just had a blast doing what I love doing, with people who appreciate it as much as I do. The music was not professionally played, but it was played capably, respectfully, and in a very traditional way.

Didn't eat dinner, so I can't vouch for the food one way or the other.

I hope to attend again very soon.
If you're in Orlando, I hope to see you there!

Splash, out

Jason

Comments:
Hello Blogggggger

I love ebooks and am glad to be on your site. If you want to find out more about......ebooks then go visit http://le4u.com......You wont be disapointed..
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!