<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

The Road Ahead--A Personal Note 
For those of you keeping track in your programs, I expect to be touching down in the U.S. at about 1300 hours EST on the 12th of March. I'll be at Fort Stewart, GA, outprocessing for five days, then I'll be on a bus down to my adopted city of Miami, spend a couple of days at the unit, and then return to my prior existence as a freelance writer and itinerate fiddler and guitarist (read, professionally unemployed.)

But I'm excited about some new professional and educational opportunities.

I am grateful to the U.S. Army for allowing me to publish, even when some of what I had to say was critical. I hope I'm leaving a better Army behind for it, though. I know we're an incomparably better Army than we were a year ago.

I'm also grateful to a couple of editors who were more than understanding when, in January of 2003, I had to dump a pile of notes in their laps from half-written and unwritten magazine articles and said "I gotta go to war!"

I'm looking forward to a life of lamer excuses.

I find myself torn between a desire to write EVERYTHING down for historical purposes, and a desire to move on and put the war behind me and return to civilian life. I am in the very early stages of discussing a collaboration on a book. If it comes through, it will be an all-consuming project, but I think it will be a good book--and very different from anything on the market right now. I haven't pitched it anywhere yet, though.

Meanwhile, I look forward to writing some more blog pieces, doing some traveling, catching up with some loved ones, and freshening up my financial journalist's rolodex, which has been slowly deteriorating all year.

And as I travel the country this spring, I'm also very keen on crashing every traditional Irish music seisun I can find!

I'll let you know where I'll be on this page. If it's near you, please do come by!

Slainte, out

Jason

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!